City of Siena
- Built around 3 main hills (see photos).
- It’s an exceptionally well-preserved medieval town.
- Many views and façades in Siena look almost the same as they did in Catherine’s day.
- See “Catherine’s Siena” a fine description of Siena in Catherine’s day written by Susanne Noffke, the most important English translator of Catherine’s work and fine scholar of her thought.
- For a good short description of the medieval city see:
Richard Ingersoll (Rice University), Cities in History, Lecture 10: “The Uses of Decorum: Siena and the Nine”